Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Our IVF journey - Recovery from a very thorough laparoscopy

After some adjustment of schedules and such, I went for my second laparoscopy in May. And Dr Wong did a very thorough job. So thorough that 2 hours later when Hubs came to see me, the nurses told him that I was still in surgery and according to the nurses, "Dr Wong's surgery can take awhile coz he's very thorough."

Physically, I felt the thoroughness of the surgery because it felt like someone took a blunt knife and gutted and scraped my insides. During my first laparoscopy, my parents who came and visited for the weekend, saw that I was still independent. However, for this second one, my mom decided to stay with me during the recovery period and noted that I was a lot more immobilised.

Anyway, 2 weeks later, I went back to the hospital for the post-surgery follow-up and was presented a video recording of the entire surgery. Dr Wong explained that during the surgery itself, he found that I actually had stage 4 endometriosis. On top of the 4 cysts in my ovaries which he removed, he also had to surgically snip of endometrial tissues that have caused my uterus to stick to my bowels.

So I'm pretty happy that he did a good job, but we couldn't start our IVF process immediately. In order to ensure that the endometriosis has less chance to recur at the next menstual cycle, Dr Wong started me on first, a one-month zoladex injection, followed by a second dose which lasted close to 3 months. So more waiting...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...