Friday, November 9, 2012

Our IVF journey - Eggs collection day


About a week before the scheduled eggs collection date, the ultrasound scan revealed that I had about 8 egg follicles of various sizes. Some were at about the right sizes already, although there were a few that were a little bit small. Hence Dr Wong up my dose of Gonal-F for all the eggs to reach the right sizes.

Hubs had to fly into KL for eggs collection because that was the day that the clinic had to collect his semen sample for fertilisation as well. The eggs collection procedure is almost like a mini-surgery, which meant that the night before I had to take some meds to completely empty my bowel and no liquids after 12am and no breakfast on the day itself. In the procedure room, the nurse helped me up onto a bed with an attached stirrup, which after that they tilted the bed to a certain angle until my legs were at a higher level than my head. As soon as the Dr arrived for the procedure, the nurses put me under gas anesthesia and that was the last thing I remembered.

The next thing I knew when I woke up was the end of the procedure where they have taken away the anesthesia. The nurses helped me onto another bed before pushinge into a recovery room where I promptly fell asleep again. I don't think I slept for long because I woke up suddenly, remembered that Hubs had to catch a flight later that day, promptly got dressed and made my way to the reception area to meet Hubs. In the end, the clinic collected 6 eggs that were of good sizes for fertilisation.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...