Thursday, November 8, 2012

Our IVF journey - Finally it's IVF!

The Zoladex injection caused me not to experience any mestruation close to four months and this is really to temporarily stop any hormonal stimulation which is basically what endometriosis feeds on. When I finally got my period, I was so happy, and immediately called up the clinic to schedule an appointment.

After some explanation from Dr Wong about the protocol that he was going to use on me, and some discussion with Hubs, we decided to start our first IVF in September. Dr Wong put me on the long protocol which involved down-regulation of the ovaries first using a combination of oral contraceptives pills followed by daily injection of buserelin. After one month of this, I started another injection i.e. Gonal-F which is to stimulate the ovaries to produce more eggs. In a normal unstimulated cycle, a woman typically produces one to two eggs only.

I had to learn to administer these injections by myself. After the first few attempts, I kinda got used to it, although the Gonal-F injections were slightly more painful to administer. Hubs was supportive all the way because I had to take these injections in the early morning. He tries to wake himself up every now and then to be an observer most of of the time. LOL! The only down bit with these injections is that I have very sensitive skin, which resulted in a lot of scarring at the injection sites.

Roughly about 2 weeks into the egg stimulation phase, I had to go into the clinic for scans just to check that everything is going as planned. These visits became more frequent as egg collection day approaches, so that Dr Wong can adjust the dosages of the injections which he did in order for us to harvest more eggs.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...