Thursday, January 5, 2012

Eats: Serai @ Empire, Subang Jaya

I was first introduced to this cosy yet modern cafe in the Empire Shopping Gallery in Subang Jaya by a close friend during the month of Ramadhan when I was still in Kuala Lumpur, overseeing our new home renovation. At that time, the place was a bit quiet but according to friend, the place packs up pretty quickly during normal days once the clock hits 12pm.

On first impression, Serai is almost Delicious-esque (of Ms Read) but at the same time distinctly unique. I enjoyed my first meal here thoroughly and so when Hubs was back during the recent Christmas/New Year holidays, we came here again for him to try it out himself.

The owners of Serai paid attention to little details including
having jars of fresh cut flowers at every table.

Hubs's choice was the Serai Platter, which is serai-infused rice served with herb-marinated fried chicken thigh, oxtail in asam pedas, honeyed squid and acar. It was a very filling platter and certainly very good! The fried chicken was hot from the fryer and well marinated as well. Hubs was very pleased indeed. :)


Nasi kerabu is my vice and naturally for my second visit, I chose this again. It is served up with ayam percik with sauce on the side, which is perfect for me because I don't particularly fancy the slightly sweet nutty sauce, although I have to say that Serai's version is very palatable unlike Delicious's which is way too nutty for me. I especially like the fresh sambal and asked for more (like I did the first round) but unfortunately was served a sambal tumis instead, which was quite ok as well. The fish crackers that comes with the rice is also very authentic, almost like the ones from Kuala Terengganu and there's stuffed chilli with beef and kerisik to hoot! One very authentic dish by my standard. :)


Now that we are living so close by, Serai is definitely in my visit list whenever I'm back. 

***

Serai @ Empire
LG37, Empire Shopping Gallery,
Jalan SS16/1, 47500 Subang Jaya. 
Tel: 03-563 70706

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...