Saturday, March 7, 2009

IELTS

Today, after so long, I am back in the exam hall. And the test to be exact - IELTS, which tests one's English competency in listening, reading, writing and speaking.

Prior to this, two days ago to be exact, I was getting a wee bit panicky, thinking how am I going to at least pass the test with the minimum requirements, having left the exam environment aeons ago. I didn't want to waste money and buy the official test materials for a one off thingy. Luckily there's always the ever resourceful internet and I managed to find some test materials online. I practised with what I found and they didn't seem easy - or maybe I was attempting to concentrate while watching American Idol at the same time on Astro. In the end with a little prayer, I decided to leave the rest up to God.

It was a rather uneventful day. The test turn out to be easier than I expected it to be. At least there's no distraction ;p My biggest enemy, however, was my own little wandering mind. And boy did it gallivanted. The listening bit of the test required 100% concentration as the candidates have to listen to a CD containing a series of conversation while attempting to answer 40 questions at the same time. I suppose I got complacent when shortly after the first conversation was played out, I realised it was rather easy-peazy.

And that's when my mind decided to gallivant. In split seconds, before I knew it, my mind was somewhere else and I realised I just missed the answer to Q8. And it happened twice! I can't believe myself, neither could Hubs when I called him at end of exam to report back on how it went.

*shish*

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...