Thursday, March 12, 2009

Be nice to the waiter if something is wrong with the food.

And also to the nice pharmacist if you are asking for discount.

With my current employer, it is norm to give discounts in order to retain customers and also to have price advantage over other retailers. In today's bleak economic climate, everyone is even more cost-conscious and every cent counts. The pressure is definitely on in giving the "right" discounts to make the customers happy and to ensure healthy profits.

What i don't understand is some customers actually think that by being rude, they can intimidatingly persuade the retailer into giving them the price they are willing to pay. For example:

Retailer: Yes sir, can I help you?
Customer: I am looking for product X
Retailer: (proceeds to look for product X from the shelf and search for discounted price on the computer and writes it on the price tag)
Customer: WHAT?! RM40 enough la!!
Retailer: (... la di da ...) Here you go sir (with a smile on her face)

I didn't give this customer the price he was looking for. I could have but he was so rude that even my staff who was working nearby actually looked up to see who this person is.

As I discovered recently on my mind's tendency to drift off, it's easier to "switch off" when the other person do not understand what is basic courtesy.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...