Friday, May 23, 2014

Eats: Mangetsu Japanese Fusion Restaurant

I've recently come back to Manila, and the first dinner I had was at Mangetsu. The Hubby has been frequenting this place quite often, and promised to bring me here. 

The interior of the restaurant is rather minimalist, accentuated with rows after rows of wine. These seemed Japanese, and I think most likely sake. At a landing corner, where staircase leads to upstairs dining room (presumably), there was a miniature statue of a full samurai garb. Kinda remind me of our trip to Hokkaido last year, where Hubby had a pose in full samurai garb. 


Our usual Japanese fare included a sashimi, which for Mangetsu, is depended on what is fresh for the day (of course!) This was what we had, clockwise from top: salmon, tuna belly (divine!), a type of white fish (beyond the usual salmon, tuna, and mackerel, I'm pretty clueless in identifying white fish served sashimi style ;p ), a type of clam, and cured mackerel. In the center (can's see very well in this pic) is chilled, cooked sea urchin roe. We checked that with waitress coz we weren't sure what it was. The texture felt like just-cooked liver, but it lacked the distinct liver-ish taste. Apparently, according to hubby, they usually serve fresh sea urchin roe instead. 


I wasn't very full so I ordered a crabstick salad and a stewed beef tendon for sharing. 


The salad came in rather huge portion. So much for wanting to have a light dinner. However, the ingredients were kept nice and chilled by placing the serving plate on top a bowl of shaved ice. 


Now, this stewed beef tendon was to die for. Although in the menu it was stated that "stewed in white soy sauce", it was flavorful, and the meat so tender. Awesome! 

Hubby went for his usual pork ramen. I can't comment much since I'm gluten free, but as far as the soup and the pork are concerned, again flavorful and oh-so tender meat. I suspect they kinda pressure-cooked the meat, which explain the soft texture but still packfull of flavor. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...