Monday, February 18, 2013

Catching up with times. Eeek!

In a few days time, we are flying to Perth to witness Hubs's sister's graduation. Of course with it, comes the usual "do you need anything from Malaysia" so that I can get it over the next few days and bring along with us to Perth. One of the pressie that Hubs intend to get for one of his nephew is comics because that's what the boy is into now.

Over the weekend when I was at the malls, I realised the comic scene has evolved. I think... In Popular bookstore, there's a lot of those manga/anime type that's translated into English and Bahasa Malaysia. I just couldn't find any of those thin Marvel comic "magazine".

I decided to try my luck at Borders. When I was there, I realised that they have called them as "Graphic Novels" these days. And the one thing that stood out in all these comics is that they are no longer sold in thin magazine like how they used to be when we were growing up, that one have to buy like 20-30 of these thin magazines in order to complete the series. The Marvel ones that I saw in Borders are at least 0.5 cm thick and certainly felt like the entire series were bound into books. And they weren't cheap. The going price seems to be RM 60 plus but felt more upmarket because they looked like they weren't printed on newspaper type of paper.

Anyway, I haven't buy any, because I wasn't sure if these were what Hubs is intending to buy for his nephew. But at least we know where to get it before we leave.

On a separate note, at a different Borders outlet, I noticed this rather disturbing comic. I didn't look through the content, but the cover itself is a cause for concern. A lot of parents would think nothing much of their children reading comics. After all, it's just drawn cartoons of action figures. But having seen this, I personally feel that as modern parents, one just can't afford to be too laissez faire. I'll just let the picture do the talking.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...