Saturday, May 16, 2009

Of numbers, fortune telling and... MLM?!

Yesterday, after taking a free BP check for one of the regulars, she asked if she could do a number reading for me. Always the curious me, I said sure. She asked for my birth date and quickly drawn up an inverted triangle and began filling it up with some numbers, which I found out later that these numbers were actually summation of various combinations of my birth date.

She then proceeded to tell me about my character and personality, i.e. how am i like and the works, which I sorta agree with. She went on to say that I 'seems' to have various opportunities to venture into businesses/investments which had I gone into these, I would have been very successful. However due to my own uncertainty (as in to do or not to do, that is the question), I have missed out the opportunities. Nevertheless, she said that I must venture into business coz I would make it good as the numbers "seems" to point in that direction.

Next she asked me to pen down the character of my chinese name. Whatever she saw there, it wasn't good coz she said that certain elements in my name does not bode well for my personal life, hence i must change my chinese name. She informed me that there's a particular Dato who conduct seminars on this number/fortune telling thingy in Kota Damansara (including name change and all the works) and if I was interested I could go and listen. I said non-committally that I would think about it and we exchanged phone numbers.

Throughout the day, I didn't have much time to think about the episode until later at night when my mind quiet down. As they always say, an idle mind is the devil's workshop. I felt a little restless and out of curiosity googled 'numerology' and 'kota damansara'. Interestingly the word "visiber" turned up.

I went into the company website and saw the familiar inverted triangle and the various formulas to derive the numbers which the lady had penned down earlier in the day. I also found out that this thing has been in existence since 2007 and from various blogs learnt that it has some MLM elements to it.

The restlessness grew and I called Hubs to relate what had happened. When he heard about the 'businesses' and 'investments' bit, he was laughing his guts out and said that it was so obvious the lady was 'baiting' me. Since Hub's cousin was visiting, I asked Hubs to check with him if he has heard of the company as he sorta move in the MLM circle.

Now on a saner mind, I recognised the 'baiting' was indeed there, and realised that gone are the days of 'hard sell' where enthusiastic MLM-ers encourage you to attend their motivational/inspirational talks that makes one so positive and practically wrap in this bubble of 'can-do' spirit. Instead, this particular company has employed something which I felt is uncomfortably darker, where in this instance the use of special numerological calculation to influence one that the future is changeable through numbers and good luck charms.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...