Sunday, December 9, 2012

Eats: Unforgettable Ni Hao @ Jl. KH Samanhudi

This is a super-duper overdue post. Although overdue, I still recall the nice stuffs that we had here. If I recall correctly, this is one of the restaurant which Hubs came with a friend and ordered too many soupy-based dishes. We repeated those dishes when we were here, but they are pretty yummy.

This is one of my favourite coz I'm such a sucker for chinese herb-based soups. This is live prawns cooked in herbal soup. The prawns were fresh and succulent. If I have to comment on something, it would be the soup, coz I think it's a tad too light for my taste. Otherwise it would have been perfect.

And here's a bit of demonstration by the waitress who prepared this dish for us at our table-side. Prawns goes into a tupperware, in goes some chinese wine, shake-shake shake and off them go in the boiling soup stock. After a couple of minutes, the waitress dished out the prawns onto a plate and the soup goes into a separate bowl for us.

This was Hub's favourite. Garoupa cooked in superior soup. Again, another yummy dish only so because the fish was fresh and the flesh was firm.

And this is what I meant as the unforgettable dish. When it was first served up, I was peering at them quizzically and wondered aloud  "are those endless strips of pork belly fats?" Well apparently they were mushrooms. But the Chef had cleverly soaked/soften/stewed/braised/pressure-cooked (I don't know) them in such a way that they are soft-to-the-bite and almost almost melt in my mouth. Almost like a vegetarian stewed pork-belly if there's such a thing. Really amazing.

****
Ni Hao Restaurant
Jl. KH. Samanhudi No. 57, Jakarta

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...